Sunday, October 02, 2005

Childhood Memories...


Since young, my parents have taken several pictures of me when I was a toddler. The one that I could still see back at my grandparent’s home was the picture of me celebrating my first birthday. The focus was about me trying to meddle with candle which was standing right in the heart of the black forest cake. I think that was the only photograph that brings out the child in me. It reminds me of my childhood days now that I am on the verge of reaching adulthood. It somehow makes me appreciate my sweet childhood past.

There were some moments I can vividly remember when I was little and they were made much clearer when I spent some quality time with my parents, asking them how I was like when I was young. They told me that I was such a cuddly little baby with sparkling pair of eyes. As I grow up, they told me that I had this three strands of brown hair on my head that would be blown in the wind and it made me looked so cute which to me, cute implies ugly but adorable. They further commented on how I was so simple minded that I would just looked at the toys being displayed with my eyes concentrating on them with no intention of buying them even though I wanted to have them. They said that I would ask them, “Is it expensive?” Then, they would just smile because they realized that I was never pushing or forcing them to buy things that every child would want. Well, this was the part that branded me cute for some reasons which I found it rather amusing for such a young child to behave as such because usually a child would get upset when they did not get what they demanded. As for me, when my parents said ‘no’, I would gladly listen to their ultimate decision.

Of course there were other more interesting historical facts. I remembered the time when I was so daring to even touch the base of a hot iron. I switched on the iron, waited for some time and without much delay, I touched the burning, hot iron base. Quickly, I pulled my hand away in pain and cried in discreet. It was so foolish of me to do such things. And there were many occasion when my parents brought me out to restaurants. If you think I ordered the best kid meals served and available in those particular restaurants, you were so wrong. In my bag, I would carry my own home food, took it out and ate them on the dining table while my parents were enjoying the chef’s cooking. The waitresses around were giggling away because I did not seem to bother eating home food at fancy restaurants. My parents were definitely embarrassed but a kid, so young and so self unconscious, would not have understood the embarrassment. And so another embarrassing moment of my childhood which I found out from my parents is revealed.

Children must have their share of tasting first love, a time when they found out that they did develop some weird and strange feelings towards the opposite gender. In my case, I was the victim of a girl who, let’s just say, liked me. Funny but it did happen years back when I was about the tender age of seven to eight years old, approximately when I reached primary 2 or 3. I was in a class where the teacher in charge made all the students to sit in pairs, in which a boy and a girl were to sit side by side to minimize noise level. It did work but the girl sitting beside me was rather irritating me. She would pinch me, hit me and do other silly stuff to annoy me. For what reasons, I could not recall. Maybe, I was naughty too when I was younger and that triggered her to so called tamed me. I am not sure though. And there was this surprising occasion which I did not think would happen to any other guy out there when they were still seven to eight years old. And I also believed that there is no girl about the same age dares to do this ‘thing’ to a guy. Alright, let’s just get to the point.

I was standing beside my mother after school while she was chatting with her friend when this girl who sat beside me came over. I was not aware that she was approaching me then. Without hesitation, she got closer and gave me a kiss on my cheek, right in front of so many students and parents, including some teachers passing by and most importantly, my mother. Somehow, I thought I managed to dodge her in the nick of time but I guessed I was wrong. She went away after that perhaps giggling away and giving a fond smile as she disappeared. I was in shock. I guess it was the first time I was kissed by a girl on the cheek. How would you feel if you were in my shoes? To me, that was the most embarrassing moment as a kid which I could never ever forget. When I recalled this incident, I carved a smile, I thought to myself that “Wow, I got that from a girl before?” I just could not believe it happened. As for the girl, I never heard from her after that incident. Years back, I found out that she had transferred school to a faraway place in the United States of America. I still remembered her name though and her looks back then. Fair skinned, long black hair, thin, had a fairly pretty face without glasses. If I had the chance, I would want to meet up with her so that we both could have a good laugh recalling those precious childhood moments. It was funny that strange things happened to me when I was younger and now, I am writing this down to make those memories of yesterday come alive.

Some of us may not have that kind of sweet childhood memories. Some might have been hurt, scarred or haunted by their childhood past. They may not be able to change the past, but they can always live the present and move on to find better days. As for the more fortunate ones, it would be good if we grow up to be teenagers or adults, to seek wisdom and knowledge but always have part of us and see the world through the eyes of a child. A child sees the world as a big open space full of opportunities to do what they want to do and they make their dreams come true despite the odds. When I see a child smiling at me, it somehow comforts me, reminding me that I was once like that. It lifts me up, helps me to find some good in this cold, harsh world. This world is turning from bad to worse each day from pollutions, nuclear threats, terrorism, racism and many other unnecessary and harmful activities. With so many bad things, what is there to keep the world together? Goodwill and world peace is all mankind want and who keeps this hope alive, it is children whose smiles can truly move people’s heart, whose cries can stop mankind’s madness, whose dream is to venture the world as they grow up.

This story is based on a real account of the author. This story is inspired by "Picture of You" by Boyzone.

No comments: