Monday, September 24, 2007

Filling In The Vacuum...


A well deserved break from blogging is not so bad. Now that I'm back 'temporarily', I just want to list done what I have been doing all these while. Let's begin with June, so it here goes.

A bright morning, started my day. All my luggage was ready, checklist done, passports checked, money is already stuck in my wallet and off I go to Bintan for an overseas CIP with my schoolmates, mostly strangers in the beginning. The expedition was to visit a government school in the village of Sebong Lagoi where my college had established a small library on the previous OCIP trips. Mine was the third / fourth batch to continue this tradition and I was more than glad to be part of this team. Partly because I want to find an escapade from Singapore's busy lifestyle. Spent about a week plus 4 days in total. Five days were dedicated to teach English to Primary 3, 4, 5 and 6 students with a manpower of 19, aided by 2 teachers' supervision. First 2 days were reserved for resting and planning for the final touch-ups and the remaining days we had, we spent it on rejuvenating and exploring what Bintan has in store for us.

Details of what we did in the primary school was classified but the bottom line is that we had fun teaching the children with inclass exercises, some indoor and outside games. My personal experience there helped me to see how it was like in a typical Indonesian government school. Facilities were barely adequate, hygiene was minimally exercised but there was this spark of happiness and contentment in the eyes of the children we taught. Their smiles were heartwarming despite the poor conditions they have to live through everyday, indeed it was an exceptional feeling to see life in that manner. There was once an occassion when it was pouring down heavily and the children were drenched. They made a conscientious effort to clean corridor with brooms to wipe of the wet sands stuck on the cemented floor. And there was this boy who removed his socks and shoes, held them in his hands and went home barefooted after the rain receded. It was then, I realized that the simplest things in life meant so much for them. The wet ground would have soaked his shoes and hastened the wear and tear process.


The next part is about my comrade in arms who have made a difference in this trip. Each has his/her own reasons for participating in this trip but from what I saw, they came not entirely for personal gains. Every night we had sharing sessions that over time, developed into emotional revelations and matured discussions. Following that, we would head back to prepare teaching materials for the next day. In our free time, we would mingle around in table games or watch TV, some returned to their bunkers either to sleep early or to study. That was how we filled each day, maintaining focus when it is the time to and at other times, we are just being humans who need a dose of socialization with those around us. And that kept us closer, getting to know a bit from everyone, after all, each one has their story. Overall, I enjoyed my stay in Bintan, working and playing together, exploring the area without a map and still made it back in one piece, getting to know my teachers in charge and most importantly, it has given me a window to see the world out there, places that give peace and tranquility when I needed them most. For that, I'm glad I went and contribute what I can to make this trip an enriching one for myself, the team and the beneficiaries. Others have their own set of stories, one that involved shedding tears of joy and reluctant farewells, so I shall leave it up to them how they want to explain their experiences.

July, another month, another year. I cannot believe I'm going to be called twentysomething from now on. It just makes me so ... old. Never mind about that. The main highlight was the Installation Ceremony where I finally stepped down from my post. A survivor from a year long of duties that gave me headaches most of the time and smiles as well at times. The present i got from the aftermath was a 'caked face', probably an act of 'revenge' after all I have put them through, now that it all ended, there was no holding back. I have fulfilled what I promised the teachers during the interviews and relieved that they are all done. My job ended here, so were my obligations and my authority, it was a bittersweet moment for me.

August was rather a fast month to fly by so easily. One thing I did was to involve myself at TJC Leo Club Installation, met a friend of mine and bid my final farewell to the place where it all began, my journey into my former CCA in my present college. To summarize the month of September that is almost over, it was alright. Had its ups and downs but overall, I'm alright with it. Nothing much happening, I'm looking forward to the holidays after A levels. Now that I recalled, I visited my secondary school on Teachers' Day, met Mr Oh on the bus one evening so I decided to pay him a visit after the long absence. I met my former fellow PSLs there and unexpectedly, I met some of the exco members who I had long lost touch with. Caroline, Cheryl and Michelle were there and it was good to meet them again. We did not plan to meet, it just so happened that we came on the same day, at the right moment when I was about to head back home. So I stayed a little longer to catch up with them. And thanks for the cinnamon doughnut bought by Caroline and Cheryl.

One last note, I do not know when I will blog again so yeah, I guess only time will tell. I had this dream to go away from all these things and find myself a quiet spot in the corner of this world, where time ticks slowly and I can just lay on back on the green pasture. Paradise on earth? Highly unlikely but somewhere close to paradise, there is always a possibility. Just like the one I found in Bintan, hopefully, I can find that place where I can settle down in peace, away from modern civilization. I will miss lots of things but you know, sometimes, you are can be so tired from city life up to a point that you just want to get away from it all for good. That time will come for me, one fine day, and I will bring my memories and mementos along to my dwelling place. Would I be lonely? Perhaps i might, but you can always visit me when you have the time. Then, I won't be so lonely, right? Otherwise, memories are enough to keep me alive and sane. Perhaps, what I just said is an elusive dream but deep down, I really wish I could at least experience it in my lifetime.

This post is inspired by "Five Loaves and Two Fishes" by Corrinne May.

No comments: